Tuesday, January 27, 2015

What (not) to wear to work

Inevitably, the first thing coworkers state when they remember I am working from home is "You must be in your pajamas right now." No. I am not in my pajamas. This is work!

That is my single rule about how to dress for work when at home. PJ's are NEVER acceptable.

Why not? Everyone needs a certain shift to move from their "at home" mentality to being "at work". For those going into the office, this is an easy transition because they get up, get dressed, and drive somewhere. But for those staying home, it can be harder to make that transition. But this isn't a snow day, or a sick day, or vacation, or the weekend - it is a work day. A work day requires you to get dressed for work.

So what do you wear to work then?

Some people will wear the exact same clothes that they would if they were heading into the traditional office. This helps them prepare through keeping their routine and makes it feel more like work. This is also helpful if you are on professional video conferences throughout the day, or may have to go into the office or elsewhere to meet coworkers.

Some people will go slightly more casual, especially if their workplace is formal. Jeans, t-shirt, etc. To some, that's usual work dress anything.

Personally, I'm in workout clothes 90% of the time. I work out before work, and try to after work. And I like to be able to take my dogs for a walk during lunch or get in some other activity. I couldn't get away with it in the office, but it's part of my "at home" package and I take full advantage.

I believe there are only a few rules for how you should dress when working from home:

  1. Comply with your company rules, your role, etc.
  2. Never wear anything offensive - you never know when you will be on camera. Don't let casual dress get you fired.
  3. NEVER, ever, wear pajamas

No comments:

Post a Comment