Monday, January 5, 2015

Send Cards

When I used to work in a traditional office building, I kept a set of various cards at my desk. If an occasion popped up, I was prepared. And if I didn't have the right card, there was a lobby shop in the building to pick one up for emergencies. It was super easy to leave a card on someone's desk, or use interoffice mail at worst case, to let them know I was thinking about them.

I enjoyed giving cards in the office because it builds engagement. People like to know that you remember them, you think about them, and that you took time to make them feel special. It's an easy gesture that pays big dividends.

Now that I'm at home, I can't just drop off a card at someone's desk. Some of my own staff aren't even in the same city. The logistics have changed. But that doesn't mean the sentiment has to.

The only difference between then and now is preparation, and maybe a few extra pennies. I still have a stash of cards on hand. However, I have to pay attention to upcoming events that I can foresee and drop the cards in the mail. I have to have stamps, I have to have home addresses, and I have to have a head's up. But with those things, I can still accomplish the same.

Actually, I accomplish more. People know it takes more effort to mail. It's no longer something I can run to my office last minute and do. They know I thought even more about them.

The real trick to getting the most value from sending cards is in the message. I never just sent a card. I ALWAYS hand write a personal note. I include messages of thanks for the work they are doing, positive outlooks for the future, and personal sentiments. Handwriting the card shows it came from me, not on assistant or something I copied from the internet. When I screw up a word, it shows I'm human. The personal note is genuine and real.

The following is a direct quote from an associate after receiving her birthday card:
Thank you so much for my birthday card. Seriously it was the absolute cutest birthday card I got this year. Maybe even ever. J It was an unexpected surprise & really made a difference in my day. J I don’t think a boss has ever sent me a card on my birthday & its little stuff like that make me so happy to be a part of this team & its why your team engagement scores are so high. You do a great job as an encourager & leader. J

See how much engagement credit I just scored? It cost me less than $2.00 for the card and stamp, and 5 minutes of time to write a personal message. The return on investment here is huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment