Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Can't find my way home

Today I had a meeting regarding a presentation I’ve been asked to do for my company, largely focused on networking, branding, and self-promotion when you work at home. All of these are topics I love to discuss, so I’m really excited for the opportunity. To give them more background on me, I sent them links to my past presentations and this blog.

In our meeting today, they wanted to discuss the title for the session, brainstorm the direction, and requested my bio – all things that are easy. Then they said they wanted to be sure to provide a link to my blog in the registration for the session. Here was an “Oh Fudge” moment.

Not that I am embarrassed. I’m 1000% behind everything I have written here. It only served to remind me that I hadn’t written in so long. I had a long break, had one post to say I would do it again, and then poof. No more words. Had I run out of things to say? To know me is to know that couldn’t be farther from the truth! So what then?

Turns out, I’ve slipped into the things I would advise people not to do. I stopped eating my own dogfood, and now I’m eating my words. I used to wake up at the same time as I did going to the office, and initially used that extra time for a walk. Rain or shine, I was dedicated. I’d have a nice breakfast, watch the news, and kick-start my day with that extra hour working from home provided me. Today, I woke up at 7AM (after setting the alarm for 6:30AM and allowing myself to reset it – something I NEVER used to do.) I spent the next 20 minutes or so laying in bed snuggling with my dogs. This is truly quality time though! It’s my 2nd favorite moment of the day! (The first is before-bedtime snuggles!) I putzed around getting dressed and whatnot. I came down and fed my pups, took my vitamins, and grabbed my graham crackers to take to my desk. I sat down at 7:58AM to start my day, breakfast waiting to be consumed.

Here I am now, during my lunch, writing this blog – but that started as the intent to work through lunch. Had my plate at my desk and my laptop open. I was getting ready to work on the aforementioned presentation, but found my mind stuck in my hypocrisy. So, at least I stopped working today to work on something else.

All this is to say that no one is perfect. Clearly I’ve slipped into some habits that won’t bring me the most success or make me my best version of me.

I’m starting over, again. My goal is to have more posts before my presentation at the end of the month. I want to reawaken the wonders of working from home, along with my spirit. So, feel free to keep me honest! Comment or post of you don’t see traction. Or send me questions you’d like me to address. This is a journey we’ll take together. Here’s to the next first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment